Monday, April 8, 2013

Skin Care: Oily & Blemish Prone Skin + Diet

One of the ickiest, stressful and undeniably irritating problem almost every person experiences is having a pimple. It looks ugly, it's painful and sometimes itchy (for some people). People get acne because of the excess oils trapped in the pores as well as elevated hormones especially during puberty.

I am 21 years old and I've experienced this problem for such a long time now. I have oily skin and I'm prone to having acne. The first time I had pimples was during my 2nd year of high school and I was 13 years old back then. It was most probably because I was in puberty stage that time. Anyway, those pimples were gone after I treated it with an acne cream called Oxy. It worked for me and my pimples were gone for like a year or two. Unfortunately, it came back and when I tried using the same product to stop my break outs, it didn't work anymore. I guess my skin became resistant.

When I was in 2nd year College (17 years old), my break outs started to increase again so I decided to consult a dermatologist. I was given an antibiotic that I can apply on my skin and a tar soap. Unfortunately again, it didn't work! It was the most saddest thing that ever happened into my life and I thought my acne wouldn't stop popping out. (FYI: I don't have acne all over my face. I only have them on my cheeks [a lot on this part] and a little on my chin).

Anyway, after a long wait. I finally found out how to care for my skin. This happened after my severe break out and my acne started forming bumps (December 2012). I desperately wanted to get rid of it once and for all. It looked so bad and I really hated it. I am so glad I found a way to control my acne and minimize my break outs. It took me a lot of time to actually see and feel that my skin is improving but it was worth the wait.

Today is April 2013 (3 months and a few days after) and I am so happy that the bumps I had are gone for good. The only thing I'm trying to get rid off are the scars left and they are fortunately, starting to fade.

So, what did I do to get rid of those nasty pimple bumps? Well, continue reading to find out!

HOW TO WASH YOUR FACE:

Before doing this, WASH YOUR HANDS!

1. Use a make-up remover if you have make up. Cleansing Creams work too.
2. Wash your face with hot water.
3. Using your Cleansing Foam, lather and massage your face for a minute or two.
4. Exfoliate your skin with a gentle face scrub for 1 - 2 minutes. Do this gently and don't scrub like you're angry at yourself. It takes time and patience. (I personally did this everyday when I still had the acne bumps and then when it started decreasing, I used it 3 times per week)
5. Rinse with Cold Water to tighten the pores. Use Upward and Outward strokes when washing!
6. Dry your face with a clean towel gently. Pat and don't scrub!

PRODUCTS I'M USING:

> Cleansing Cream/Make-up Remover: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (Believe it or not, it removes make-up. Just massage it unto your face and remove with a cotton ball or a wet tissue)
> Cleansing Foam: Before (December - March): Baking Soda Cleansing Foam (Etude House) in the evening & AC Clinic Acne Foam Cleanser (Etude House) in the morning Now (April): Rice Water Cleansing Foam (The Face Shop) It smells really good and it lathers very well!
> Exfoliating Products: Before (December - March): White Moistfull Peeling Wash (Etude House) Now (April): Neutrogena Microdermabrasion System


SKIN CARE ROUTINE:

Always remember to use upward and outward strokes when applying anything on your face!

1. Apply toner with a cotton ball.
2. Apply a little of face oil (In my opinion, the best oil to use when you have acne prone skin is extra virgin olive oil).    Apply face oil ONLY if the weather will make your skin dry. If you live in a tropical country, don't!
3. Apply moisturizer. Using a moisturizer will help maintain skin's moisture and decrease oil production from your face. Your skin tends to produce more oil if it's dry and it'll only cause more pimples.
4. Apply serum (optional).
5. Apply sun screen if you're going out and your skin will be exposed to the sun, you are going to sit in front of a laptop or if you are using a phone. The light and brightness of these two are harsh to the skin!
6. Apply Eye Cream.
7. Apply BB (Blemish Balm/Beauty Balm) Cream. This will help in improving your skin because of its effects. Use it only in the morning but not during the night when you go to sleep.

8. Add this steps during Night time Skin Routine:

     After toning, moisturizing and applying everything on your face use your special care products like:

  • A cream for fading acne scars.
  • A spot cream/gel or whatever for acne.

9. Spray mist all over you face.

PRODUCTS I'M USING:

> Toner: Before: Wonder Pore Freshner (Etude House) Now: Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner
> Face Oil: Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Bench) / Rite Aid: Vitamin E 4000 IU Skin Oil.
> Moisturizer: AC Clinic Gel Lotion (Etude House) 
> Serum: White Tree Snow Vita Lightening Serum (The Face Shop)
> Sun Screen: Tomato Sun Cream SPF 36 PA ++ (The Skin Food)
> Eye Cream: Burt's Bees Sensitive Eye Cream with Cotton Extract
> BB Cream: Precious Mineral BB Cream Bright Fit. It has Whitening, Anti-wrinkle and Anti-darkening effects plus there's SPF 30 / PA ++. 
> Special Products: AC Clinic Intense Red Spot Balm (Etude House) - this is for my acne scars. AC Clinic Intense Pink Powder Water / AC Clinic Pink Powder Spot - this is for new acne or old ones (especially those infected ones).
> Mist: Wonder Pore Freshner (Etude House) - This product has two uses. It can be a toner as well as a mist.


So basically that's what I've been doing for the past few months and it really worked for me. I kept a positive attitude and I was really PATIENT when cleaning my skin. I controlled myself from picking my pimples and touching my face too! 

Anyway, let's head on to the next topic which is diet. What did I do to control this nasty pimples from coming out? What did I eat and drink and what did I NOT eat and drink.

Here they are:

WHAT TO EAT OR DRINK:

1. Vegetables and Fruits.
2. Vitamins (Vitamins C & E are good for the skin)
3. Water! A lot! A lot!
4. Green Tea. It has many benefits and one of them is having good skin!
5. Soy Milk. It's high in Vitamin E.
6. Eat foods high in antioxidants like Shiitake Mushrooms and again green tea!

WHAT NOT TO EAT OR DRINK:

1. Super Oily Foods. You can eat but minimize consumption. Remember eat meat that's the same size of a match box.
2. Sugary Foods like chocolate. It'll increase your hormone productivity and increase the pimples!
3. Strictly no softdrinks, beer or any alcoholic drink.
4. Don't smoke. It's bad for your health and it'll make you old fast.
5. Milk. I stopped drinking regular milk because it increases hormone productivity which will eventually lead to more break outs. This is why I drank Soy Milk instead.


And that's my diet. I still sometimes eat those I cannot eat or drink but I control myself most of the time.


Before ending this blog, I would just like to add the following important points:

1. Wash your hands before and after touching your face.
2. Stop picking and popping your pimples.
3. Clean your phone with alcohol. Phones are one of the dirtiest things we hold everyday so clean it.
4. Change your pillow case often.
5. Wash your hair and keep it away from your face when it's already oily. 
6. When you have make-up on and you want to retouch your make-up, use an oil control sheet first to get rid of the excess oil, spray your face with your choice of mist and then set it with your powder.
7. Wash your make-up brushes.


That's it everyone. I really hope this'll help a lot and always remember to be patient and gentle with your skin.

Here are the products I'm using :) 


P.S
If you want a certain product I mentioned to be reviewed, please comment down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment